Saturday 15 September 2012

Going Crazy for 3YO's

This was going to be a short tweet, but then I realised I had more than a couple of thoughts on the 3YO feature from Ruakaka today.

I decided to go back and watch the last couple of starts of all the runners at the NZ Racing site.

There are so many runners starting today who were recent winners or close up last start.

On video the most impressive three wins that I saw were from Elysium (pulled away from them), King Zeus (covered a lot of extra ground in testing conditions), and Sacred Falls (two impressive and different victories).

There were 3 other runners who looked good, Buckland Boy (winner of last two on this track), D'Cash Man ( two strong leading runs), and Silverdale (strong finishing run against tough competition two start back), Southern Lords last start win was also impressive.

Then you have to throw Travino into the mix, he was excellent last year early in the season, he continued to compete at group 1 level. He will likely go well fresh.

So, this leaves me little chance of finding a winner; I just got confused and kept jumping back and forth as I watched each performance.

I think that I have gone crazy, the run that impressed me and is staying with me was the last start victory of Charlie Farley. Yes, he finished 7th behind Sacred Falls in Hamilton 3 starts ago, but his win on this track was eye-catching. He raced 3 wide the whole way, without cover, and toward the back of the field, then he just simply bolted in. He must have covered at least 1200m, he will probably get better over more distance anyway, he has the advantage of the draw. This is a step up and will be a challenge, but when I saw the bookies quote of $21 and $6 I thought that if I can't pick a winner here, picking a value place option might be just as good.

Then again, as I said, maybe I am going crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment