Wednesday 22 February 2012

Will Sir Slick win another race?

When perusing the nominations for this weekend's races I was struck by a couple of things. Firstly, we are looking at another excellent weekend of racing, Group 1 racing in New Zealand with the Haunui Farm Group 1 from Otaki, a big day in Melbourne, two important races for the two year olds in Matamata. The Second was the Listed, Stanley Group Trac Stakes., whilst I am interested in all of the racing action, the Stanley Group Trac Stakes really struck me, why did that race interest me? Sir Slick, not the fact he is nominated, this will be race 149, so he has been nominated many times before, but on first perusal of the field I thought "wow, he might actually have a shot here". It has been a while since I have watched a Sir Slick outing and genuinely thought that.

I love Sir Slick, I am sure that I am not alone in that feeling. He has an extraordinary overall record with 22 wins, he has placed another 39 times in his 148 starts to date. I fondly recall a series of races a few years ago the 2009 New Zealand Stakes, the Japan/NZ Trophy, and the Awapuni Gold Cup. (Follow the link and watch those races. You will need to sign up, but that is free. It is worth it).

I distinctly remember those races as the reason I love watching Sir Slick, it is ironic that in a career highlighted by a number of Group 1 wins and 22 overall victories the quintessential Sir Slick races I choose are 3 second placings. Why do I remember them? I guess I remember the first two because I was fortunate enough to be on course those days. The two which really stand out are the two battles with MacO'Reilly.

It is a strange experience looking back at those videos, on course that day at Ellerslie I was sitting on a table at the end of the home straight, I just remember it been a two horse race, I had no idea O'Reilly Rose nearly stole the show until watching that video. It is funny how you choose to remember events you witnessed in person. Do you remember how much the Ellerslie crowd loved Sir Slick? he was the people's champ, everyone wanted to see a victory, you could sense it. The way that race (and the one at Awapuni) played out, two front running horses, a break from the pack, they were really bringing the best out in each other (each had many great moments in races not facing each other, but those battles stick in my mind), it felt like none of the other horses existed, they were the only two that were important, which is why my memory is an altered reality.

They are examples of why we love Sir Slick. At his peak he was a bold front running horse, he said "I am going to do this, and if you want you can try and beat me". He dared his competitors to chase him down and more often than not wore them down. How can you not appreciate his confidence and raw ability? When he was challenged, when a horse like MacO'Reilly pulled up beside him, he always found more, he lifted, he loved the challenge, the race, the fight. He didn't always prevail, but he was the alpha male who hated having horses in front of him.

That might have been one of the last times that Slick was Slick. There is no doubting he has not quite reached the same heights since those races, or maybe even from slightly before. Yes, he won a couple of races (including taking out the following years Awapuni Gold Cup), he placed in a few and has raced well since then, but those races fondly stick in my mind.

Will Sir Slick win this weekend at Matamata? he certainly has a shot. He is facing the formerly great Pasta Post, who despite a couple of flashes has not recaptured pre-injury form.Veteran South Island galloper Inferno. Up and coming Undisclosed who is coming off his first Group 1 start and now looking at 2000m for the first time. Badly out of form stayer Back in Black, who is still looking at the Auckland Cup. Options, a South Islander who  looked good in a couple of starts in Auckland and a third in a similar 2000m race at Te Rapa recently. Better Together a week removed from the Taranaki Cup (1800m) where 200m more might have helped. A former jumper who goes well fresh and showed good form prior to Christmas, Maythehorsebemagic. The often difficult to follow Miss Sharapova. Phantom Storm who may be looking for more distance but should be flying home. The Raconteur is a year removed from better form. The consistent Cat Woman who failed to fire last time stepping up to  Open Handicap level. Finally the four year old Starcheeka who is improving with racing and will be well suited to 53kgs this weekend. There will be challenges, but he is definitely in with a chance, this 10 year old has been counted out before only to come back with a flash of his former brilliance. I think this race (if it happens as nominated) may come down to Starcheeka, Maythehorsebemagic, Options and Better Together, there are others who should be considered and Sir Slick is definitely one of those.

If Sir Slick is unable to secure a victory here the question will remain, will Sir Slick win another race? after all that he has given us, does it really matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment